Monday, October 15, 2012

Throw Another Log on the Fire

Brrrrrrr!!!!

Its freezing here!!  I arrived 'down south' 10 days ago.  Perth was rainy, windy and cold for the 24 hours I was there.  And the road trip Thursday to Kalgoorlie was the same.  We left Perth around 11.30am 9 days ago and it took us pretty much 6 hours exactly so by the time we got to 'Kal' my friend had finished work and I went back to her place for the night.  She has just installed a 'donga' (transportable quarters of 5 small rooms) behind her mums house, that she bought second-hand.

As I am broke, broke, broke - I am on a strict budget.  My friends mum had a heap of orange trees and a mandarin tree in the backyard just full of fruit so if I felt a bit peckish I would have a couple of them.  My friend had left me instructions to help finish off the 'extra' Jenny Craig meals in the freezer that she had left over. Happy to help fix her guilt problem! And with the shopping for the camping trip (which I still had some food left over) I managed to go without another big shop while I was there.  I did pop to the corner shop to get 2 loaves of bread, 1 lt milk and a small jar vaseline for my chapped lips for $19!!!  I nearly fell over!

I then scored another lift with the bloke who I had travelled to Kal with, to my hometown where I have been (exept for 3 nights away on my mates farm) ever since.  My brother has an excellent vegie garden in so I have been making vegie soup every day and am really only shopping for staples every 3 or 4 days - milk, bread etc.  When I went to visit my friends farm I also gathered 2 large bags of pine cones to burn in the fire, 2 bags of lemons (I have made one batch of lemon cordial* already) and we made a heap of soap that is now curing.  More for fun than budgeting.


*Lemon Cordial Recipe

2 cups lemon juice (and then I strained it before use)
2 cups sugar

Heat in a saucepan till all sugar dissolved, cool and pour into bottles for storing in the fridge.

Dilute as per shop bought cordial.

No comments:

Post a Comment